Application for Licensure Based on Completion of a Residency Program Licensure by Residency

Application for licensure based on completion of a General Practice Residency or Advanced Education in General Dentistry Program that is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) or a national accrediting body approved by the Dental Board of California (Board) pursuant to Business and Professions Code (BPC) section 1634.1.

Application Requirements

Before applying to the Board for a dentist license, all applicants must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age.
  • Submit a completed application online through BreEZe or by mail using a paper application. The paper application can be found at the following link: Licensure by Residency. It should be mailed to the following address:

    Dental Board of California
    2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550
    Sacramento, CA 95815

  • Pay a non-refundable application fee of $800.00.
  • Provide a color passport-style photo. Please ensure the photo is clear with a plain background and the applicant’s entire profile is visible. The photo should be included with the initial application, or it can be emailed to the Board for processing.
  • Provide satisfactory evidence of having graduated from a dental school approved by the Board or CODA. One of the following documents must be submitted either electronically directly from the school or by mail with an original signature and university seal:
    • A letter signed by the Dean of the dental school certifying that the applicant has graduated, completed all clinical and didactic requirements, and been awarded the degree; or
    • A completed Certification of Dean of Dental College Granting Degree form, which can also be found on page 6 of the application.
  • Provide satisfactory evidence of having passed the National Board Written Examination.

    NOTE: Applicants can contact the American Dental Association (ADA) and have them make their scores available to the Board.

  • Provide satisfactory evidence of having completed a clinically based advanced education in general dentistry program or a general practice residency. The program or residency must be, at minimum, one year in duration and accredited by either CODA or a national accrediting body approved by the Board.

    NOTE: The form must be signed by the current program director at the time that the application for licensure is submitted.

    Certification of Clinical Residency Completion, to be filled out upon successful completion of the program and to include an educational seal. The residency program must be completed within two years preceding the date of the application for a license. NOTE: Some residency programs do not have an educational seal. In this case, applicants will need to request a signed letter from the program director stating that the program does not have an educational seal available.

  • Provide proof that the applicant has not failed the WREB examination within the last five (5) years and proof that the applicant has not failed the ADEX examination on or after November 15, 2019, and within the last five (5) years. Acceptable proof is as follows:
    • A written self-certified statement that is signed and dated by the applicant stating the applicant has never taken and/or failed the ADEX or WREB examination. This can be emailed to the Board for processing. This statement/letter is required even if you have never taken the WREB or ADEX examination.
    • An Individual Performance Report (WREB) or a Cumulative Score Report (ADEX) that shows no failures. This should be requested by the agency that administers the examination and can be emailed directly to the Board.
  • Provide classifiable sets of fingerprints either by Live Scan service (only available in California) or on hard fingerprint cards. Applicants must use hard cards provided by the Board or Standard FBI fingerprint cards. If submitting hard cards, the applicant must pay a processing fee of $49.
  • Submit a completed Out of State/Country Licensure Certification form (only for those who are licensed in another state or country). The Board will accept an electronic copy only if emailed directly from the licensing agency. If your state does not send out verifications, the Board will review the states website and verify licensure if applicable.
  • Submit a completed application for the Law and Ethics Examination with the required processing fee of $125, and then provide satisfactory evidence of having passed the Law and Ethics Examination.

    NOTE: This examination can be taken up to one year prior to graduation from dental school.

The Board permits candidates to take the Law and Ethics Examination pending fingerprint clearance; however, a dental license will not be issued until the clearance has been received from the appropriate agencies.