Subject Matter Experts and/or Site Evaluators
The Dental Board of California (Board) is currently looking for Educators to join our team of consultants as Subject Matter Experts and/or Site Evaluators. This is an assignment that keeps you in the forefront of new trends and legislation regarding the profession.
You will have the opportunity to assist the Board with its mandate to protect the public by reviewing and making recommendations regarding dental assisting educational programs and courses applying for Board approval or going through the re-evaluation process.
Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators evaluate educational curriculum submitted by applicants, for one or more of the following programs and/or courses: RDA Program, RDAEF Program, Radiation Safety Course, Coronal Polishing Course, Pit and Fissure Sealant Course, Ultrasonic Scaling Course, Dental Sedation Assistant Course, and Orthodontic Assistant Course.
Site Evaluators are called upon to review the curriculum and relevant materials and participate in site visits to verify compliance. Evaluators are expected to have experience with methodology and knowledge of creative curriculum to understand and interpret educational programs, as well as knowledge related to the Board’s regulations.
The Board is seeking Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators with the following qualifications:
- Teach or have taught full-time at a Board approved school in California for at least five years.
- Possesses current licensure by the Board as a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) or Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions (RDAEF) for a minimum of five years.
- Have no record of prior discipline or criminal convictions.
- Have an equivalent of three (3) years full-time clinical practice as an RDA or RDAEF.
- Possesses an AA, BA or higher, teaching credential in vocational education, or equivalent work experience.
- Have completed comprehensive methodology training.
- Be knowledgeable in and have developed the following components of curriculum:
- Course outline
- RDA program hour configuration for lecture, laboratory, pre-clinical and clinical instruction
- General program objectives
- Lesson plan development
- Criteria for evaluation of laboratory and clinical competency
- Specific performance objectives and the evaluation criteria used for measuring levels of competence for each component of a given procedure, including those used for examinations.
- Standards of performance that state the minimum number of satisfactory performances which are required for each performance-evaluated procedure.
- Guidelines for homework assignments
- Written test construction that includes objective examination and item analysis
- Performance and evaluation of faculty practicum including lecture, laboratory, pre-clinical and clinical format
- Distance learning and correspondence course instructional materials
- Classroom management skills that include: time management, diversity issues, remedial assistance, and dealing with student management problems
The Board will compensate Subject Matter Experts and Site Evaluators for evaluating curriculum and site visits, and reimburse costs as appropriate.
If you are interested, please complete the Application for Subject Matter Expert and/or Site Evaluator, include your most current curriculum vitae/resume. You may provide the documents by email to DA.Program@dca.ca.gov.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and those who qualify will be contacted for further consideration.
Wanted: Dental Experts to Review Investigation Cases
The Enforcement Unit of the Dental Board of California (Board) is seeking qualified knowledgeable licensees to serve as Subject Matter Experts. Subject Matter Experts are practicing dentists who review investigation cases in an effort to evaluate and/or determine whether violations of the Dental Practice Act have occurred.
In reviewing investigation cases, Subject Matter Experts determine if the standards of the dental profession are being met and/or whether (or not) the Board's laws, rules, and regulations are followed. The majority of the Board's cases involve quality of care issues. After completing a case review, Subject Matter Experts are required to provide a written report of their opinion. California Civil Code section 43.8 provides immunity from civil liability for experts; however, Subject Matter Experts may be required to testify regarding their opinions in the event the case goes to court or comes before an Administrative Law Judge at a Hearing.
The Subject Matter Expert position is not a permanent position and experts are utilized on an as needed basis.
Experts must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be considered as an expert:
- Subject Matter Experts must be actively practicing within the field (defined as a minimum of sixteen (16) hours per week or sixty-four (64) hours per calendar month in direct patient care, clinical activity, or teaching, at least 40 hours of which is in direct patient care).
- Specialists in a particular area must possess Board certification or have completed an advanced education program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association in the specialty field of orthodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, or pediatric dentistry.
- No malpractice settlements, judgment or arbitration award over $10,000.
- No criminal convictions, including any that were expunged or dismissed.
- No prior or current discipline against any health related license in California or any other state. Disciplinary action includes, but is not limited to, suspension, revocation, probation, confidential discipline, consent order, letter of reprimand or warning, or any other restriction or action taken against a dental license.
In addition to the above, in order to be considered as a Subject Matter Expert you must be willing to:
- Testify at administrative hearings and consult with the Attorney General’s Office or investigative staff whenever necessary.
- Complete a contract in order to receive payment for your services.
- Agree to the Board’s hourly compensation rate.
- Complete the entire Subject Matter Application and submit any additional documentation requested.
- Complete the Subject Matter Expert training given periodically by the Board.
- Please complete the linked application and include the requested document. Completed applications should be sent to:
Dental Board of California
2005 Evergreen St., Suite 1450
Sacramento, CA 95815
Please direct any questions to Heidi Mason at Heidi.email@example.com