Prescription Pads 101
Are Your Prescription Forms Compliant?
Starting January 1, 2021, California state law requires 15 elements to appear on California Security Prescription Forms, the forms which replaced the triplicate prescription form. State law also requires California Security Prescription Forms to be produced by printers licensed by the California Department of Justice: California Security Prescription Printers Program.
The Dental Board of California urges licensees to verify their prescription forms are complaint with state law prior to issuing prescriptions. Prescribers who do not possess these prescription pads are encouraged to place an order as soon as possible from a Security Prescription Printer approved by the Department of Justice. Doing so will help ensure you receive compliant prescription pads in a timely manner.
California-approved security printers have been issuing these prescription pads since the beginning of 2020. Starting January 1, 2021, except for limited emergency situations, pharmacists will be unable to fill a controlled substances prescription that is not on a compliant form.
Pursuant to California law, prescription forms for controlled substances must be printed with the following features:
- A latent, repetitive “void” pattern across the entire front of the prescription blank; if a prescription is scanned or photocopied, the word “void” shall appear in a pattern across the entire front of the prescription.
- A watermark on the backside of the prescription blank; the watermark shall consist of the words “California Security Prescription.”
- A chemical void protection that prevents alteration by chemical washing.
- A feature printed in thermochromic ink.
- An area of opaque writing so that the writing disappears if the prescription is lightened.
- A description of the security features included on each prescription form.
- (A) Six quantity check off boxes on the form so that the prescriber may indicate the quantity by checking the applicable box where the following quantities shall appear:
- 151 and over.
(B) In conjunction with the quantity boxes, a space shall be provided to designate the units referenced in the quantity boxes when the drug is not in tablet or capsule form.
The DOJ Approved List of Security Prescription Printers is available here.