Fingerprint Requirement for License Renewal
Regulations (Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations Amended Sections: 1007, 1008 and 1017.2) were approved requiring the submission of fingerprints upon license renewal if the Department of Justice (DOJ) has no record that the licensee was previously fingerprinted by the Board. This requirement applies to all licensees not previously fingerprinted by the Board (or for whom a record of fingerprints no longer exists) and requires Live Scan fingerprinting by the California Department of Justice (DOJ) in order to renew the license.
- Ink on Cards Method
If you are not able to be fingerprinted in California, you may go to a law enforcement agency to have fingerprints made. Two (2) cards, provided by the Dental Board, are required. Be sure to type or print legibly in black ink, all the areas on both cards asking for personal information. Ensure that it is dated and signed by the official taking the fingerprints and includes your signature. Include the two (2) cards in your application with a $49 non-refundable processing fee. Reports on some cards are received within a month after submission. Others may take many months depending on other factors beyond the control of the Dental Board.
- To receive a set of fingerprint cards, contact the Dental Board by e-mail email@example.com, or call (916) 263-2300.
- Live Scan Method
Live Scan is available only in California, for either residents or visitors, and is more efficient than the Ink on Cards method. To use the Live Scan method, download the Live Scan form, complete it and take it to a Live Scan service location. The Live Scan service location will require you to pay a fee. Your fingerprints will be taken electronically, without ink, and transmitted to the California DOJ. Finally, the DOJ will send their report to the Dental Board. Usually the report is received within seven days. There is a low rate of rejections with this method. If you use Live Scan, you are not required to submit $49.00 fee to the Dental Board.
- Live Scan Form for Dental applicants and licensees
- Live Scan Form for Registered Dental Assistant applicants and licensees
- Live Scan Service Locations by county.
- Am I required to be fingerprinted?
Effective July 1, 2011, if you have never been fingerprinted for the Dental Board or the DOJ no longer has the record of your fingerprinting, you are required to submit fingerprints to the Board as follows.
You are required to have fingerprint results on file with the Board when you:
- Renew a license that expires on or after July 1, 2011 in the active status
- Activate an inactive license;
- Seek reinstatement (in Active status) of a lapsed license.
- You do not have to be fingerprinted if you:
- Have previously been fingerprinted for the Dental Board (e.g., for initial licensure, reinstatement of license, or condition of probation, etc.) and the Board or the DOJ has your fingerprint record;
- Are renewing your license in the "inactive status"; or
- Are actively serving in the military outside the country.
For more information, call (916)-263-2300 or email DentalBoard@dca.ca.gov.