- Dental Assisting Program
- Approved DA Courses
- Dental Workforce Survey
- Online License Renewal (DDS)
- Dental Hygiene Committee
- E-Mail Mailing List
- Elective Facial Cosmetic Surgery Permit (EFCS)
- License Renewal Information (RDA)
- Licensure by Residency
- Board Calendar
- Diversion Program
- License Verification
- Laws and Regulations
- Address Change Form (DDS)
- Name Change Form (DDS)
- Board Newsletters
- Complaint Form
- Related Links
- Education Providers
- Military Information
Welcome to the Dental Board of California
- ALERT: Currently Recruiting for Dental Assisting Council Members
- ALERT: Fee Increase Effective January 1, 2015 for Dentists
- NEW! 2014 SUNSET REVIEW REPORT
CURRENTLY RECRUITING DIVERSION EVALUATION COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Now accepting applications for the southern Diversion Evaluation Committee (DEC). More specifically, one public member and one Dentist are needed to fill two vacant positions. These committees assist the Board in evaluating licensees who may be impaired due to the abuse of alcohol or drugs. Each committee is composed of three dentists, one dental auxiliary, one physician or psychologist, and one public member who all have experience or knowledge in the field of chemical dependency. Diversion Committee members are appointed by the Board and serve at the Board's pleasure. In making a determination to apply, the following factors should be considered:
- Expertise - Members must have experience or knowledge in the field of chemical dependency.
- Time - A minimum of 4 days per year will be required for committee meetings. Committee members must also be available for telephone consultation with participants and program staff. Terms are four years.
- Reimbursement - Committee members will be reimbursed for expenses (i.e., transportation, meals, and lodging at the prevailing State rate) and will receive $100/day for each committee meeting. In addition, members receive the satisfaction of providing valuable service to the public and the dental community.
- Responsibilities - With assistance from other committee members and the clinical case manager, evaluate and determine which applicants will be admitted to the program; develop a rehabilitation plan for each participant; determine whether the participant may with safety continue or resume the practice of dentistry; and receive and review information pertaining to participants.
If you have any questions regarding the DEC application or the Diversion Program, please contact the Dental Board's Diversion Program Manager, April Alameda, at 916-576-1757.
ALERT - POTENTIAL LICENSE DENIAL OR SUSPENSION FOR FAILURE TO PAY TAXES
Effective July 1, 2012, the Dental Board of California is required to deny an application for licensure or suspend a license/certificate/registration if a licensee or applicant has outstanding tax obligations due to the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) or the State Board of Equalization (BOE) and appears on either the FTB or BOE's certified lists of top 500 tax delinquencies over $100,000. (AB 1424, Perea, Chapter 455, Statutes of 2011)
Once it has been determined that an applicant or a licensee is on a certified list, the applicant or licensee has 90 days from the issuance of a “Preliminary Notice of the Intent to Suspend or Withhold Issuance or Renewal of the License” to either satisfy all outstanding tax obligations or enter into a payment installment program with the FTB or BOE. Any such person who fails to come into compliance will have his/her license denied or suspended until the Dental Board of California receives a release from the FTB or BOE. The form for requesting a release will be included with the preliminary notice of suspension or denial.
The law prohibits the Dental Board of California from refunding any money paid for the issuance or renewal of a license where the license is denied or suspended as required by AB 1424 for failure to pay taxes.
The FTB and BOE are currently expanding the certified lists from 250 to 500, but you can check if you are currently on the FTB's certified list at: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/Delinquent_Taxpayers.shtml or the BOE's certified list at: www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/top500.htm. If you believe you are on either list in error, please call the FTB at (866) 418-3702.
Our mission is to protect the health and safety of consumers.
- Licenses qualified dental health care professionals;
- Takes action to enforce compliance of the Dental Practice Act and State of California laws;
- Strives to enhance the education of consumers and licensees.
- For Consumers
- For Licensees
- About DBC