RDA/RDAEF Renewals

License Renewal


Your first renewal may not be valid for a full two years. Your expiration date is based on your birth month and birth year.  If you were born in an even year, your license/permit will expire in an even year.  If you were born in an odd year, your license/permit will expire in an odd year.  From the issuance of your license/permit, your first license/permit will expire on the last day of your birth month, in the first odd or even year corresponding with your birth year.   
After your first renewal, your license/permit will expire every two years on the last day of your birth month, either in an odd or even numbered year (as based on the year of your birth). 

  • For example, if your birthday is June 14, 1982 (an even year) your license will expire on June 30, 2014, June 30, 2016, etc. However, if your birthday is June 14, 1983 (an odd year), your license/permit will expire on June30, 2013, June 30, 2015, etc.

The Board will no longer mail renewal notices and will instead mail a reminder postcard to all license and permit holders. Reminder postcards are mailed approximately 90 days prior to the expiration date. If a renewal postcard is not received, please visit the BreEZe webpage at www.breeze.ca.gov to renew. Renewals will no longer be accepted by mail. If you do not have a BreEZe account, select “New User” to create a new account and link your license(s) and permit(s). License and permit holders are responsible for renewing regardless of having received the renewal postcard or not. If you experience technical difficulties while registering in the new BreEZe system, contact the Help Desk at (916) 557-1208 or breEZe@dca.ca.gov.

Renewals completed online are immediate unless deficient. The pocket license should be received in approximately 10-15 business days.

An incomplete renewal will cause additional time for processing.

As of October 2017, the renewal fee is $100 for each license/permit. If the required renewal fee is not submitted on or before the date of expiration, the license/permit is expired. If the license/permit is renewed more than 30 days after its expiration, a $50 delinquency fee (in addition to the $100 renewal fee) will be required before the license/permit will be renewed. Note: A dishonored check fee is $25.00 If a dishonored check fee is incurred, this fee must also be submitted before the license will be renewed.

The status of a licensee/permitee (but not the status of applicant) can be checked on the internet by visiting our license verification web page.

Renewal Requirements

Requirements for an “ACTIVE” renewal are:

  • Completed renewal transaction.
  • Renewal payment
  • Satisfactory completion of twenty-five (25) continuing education units
  • Disclosure of any license discipline by a government agency or other disciplinary body and criminal conviction(s) since last renewal
  • Completed Dental Healthcare Workforce Survey
  • Fulfillment of fingerprinting requirements
    • Licensees/permittees required to submit fingerprints are notified in writing prior to receiving their renewal application

Note: Fingerprinting for the Board is only required once. However, you must answer "yes" on EVERY renewal application, acknowledging you have furnished a full set of fingerprints.

Requirements for an “INACTIVE” renewal are:

  • The same as above, except continuing education is not required for an “Inactive” license renewal.

Requirements for a “FIRST TIME” renewal are:

  • Same as above, except continuing education is not required for "First Time" renewal of a license.

NoteBusiness and Professions Code Section 1752.6 states in part that “A registered dental assistant licensed on and after January 1, 2010, shall provide evidence of successful completion of a board-approved course in the application of pit and fissure sealants prior to the first expiration date of his or her license that requires the completion of continuing education as a condition of renewal”.

Incomplete Renewal

If upon Online Verification look-up, your license/permit status indicates "Incomplete Renewal" or "Continuing Education Required but Not Adequate," your application for renewal has been received and cashiered; however, your license/permit is being HELD. A renewal application is deemed incomplete and is HELD, if a portion of the renewal form was not completed or if the form was not signed and date.

To complete your renewal, download and complete a Renewal Declaration Form. Submit the completed form to the Dental Board of California. Attn: Dental Assisting Program, 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550, Sacramento, CA 95815 or fax to (916) 274-5970.

Inactive Licenses

A licensee/permittee can place his or her license on inactive status at time of renewal. This means that he or she must pay the renewal fee, but is not required to complete the required continuing education requirements. A license/permit can be renewed to inactive status, every two years, indefinitely.

To place an active license/permit on inactive status at any time during the renewal cycle, you must complete the Inactive/Active Form.

To activate an inactive license/permit at any time during the renewal cycle, you must complete the Inactive/Active Form and attach copies of all continuing education certificates taken within 2 years of the request to activate the license/permit. You must also return the actual green inactive license/permit, and attach the $50 fee to print the new active license/permit.

Continuing Education

The provider giving the courses must be registered with the Dental Board for the courses to be approved. Each individual course is not approved by the Board. If you have questions about whether the provider has a current registration with the Board, call (916) 263-2300, or search using the Approved Provider Lookup.

  • Continuing Education (CE) Requirements:

    Licensees/Permittees renewing for the first time are exempt from CE requirements. The minimum requirement for each renewal period after the first renewal is 25 hours of continuing education, including:

    • Basic Life Support (maximum credit allowed is 4 CE units)
      • Shall be met by completion of a American Heart Association or American Red Cross Course in Basic Life Support, or a BLS course taught by a provider approved by the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program or the Academy of General Dentistry’s Program Approval for Continuing Education.
      • Online CPR course will not be accepted for Basic Life Support requirement.
    • 2 hours of California Infection Control
    • 2 hours of California Dental Practice Act
    Note: Infection Control and California Dental Practice Act may be taken online by an approved provider.  No more than 12.5 CE hours can be completed through home study or other non-live instruction.  Interactive courses such as live videoconferencing, live lecture and live workshop demonstrations may be used for all of the required units except for Basic Life Support course.

Please be advised that the Dental Board of California does not maintain or track individual licensee’s CE units.  In accordance with Title 16 California Code of Regulations Sections 1016 and 1017, you are required to maintain CE records for a period of three (3) renewal periods (6 years).   

The Dental Board of California conducts random CE audits.  If you are audited, you will be required to provide photocopies of your CE certificates.  Do not send original CE certificates unless specifically requested by the Board.

If you want to complete an out-of-state CE course as part of your 25 hours, you must submit an application for approval via mail to the Dental Board Dental Board of California, Attn: Dental Assisting Program at 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550, Sacramento, CA 95815.

Disabled Licensees

A licensee/permitee who has not practiced in California for more than one year because he or she is disabled is not required to comply with the continuing education requirements during the renewal period within which such disability falls. However, the licensee must pay the required renewal fee.

The licensee/permittee must certify that he or she is eligible for a waiver of the continuing education requirements, due to a disability, by submitting a statement from their medical provider that includes the dates of the disability. The licensee must also provide a statement that he or she did not practice as a licensed auxiliary during the period of the disability.

Expired and Cancelled Licenses

A license/permit that has been expired for more than five years is automatically cancelled, and cannot be renewed. The holder of a cancelled certificate must either apply for a new license/permit, and pass the associated examination(s), or petition the Dental Board. To begin the process of the issuance of a new license/permit to replace a cancelled license, contact the Board via email at DA.Program@dca.ca.gov. In the email, please include your name, license number, current address, and phone number.

License Certification

For a letter certifying a license/permit, commonly referred to as a "license certification," you must be submit a License Certification Form with a $50.00 fee via mail to Dental Board of California, Attn: Dental Assisting Program at 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550, Sacramento, CA 95815.

Address Change

An address change must be submitted via mail to the Dental Board of California, Attn: Dental Assisting Program at 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550, Sacramento, CA 95815, by one of the following methods:

  • By completing Address Change Form – Please do not fax the form to the Board, as an original signature is required
  • In writing - A signed and dated letter that includes your full name, license type and number, previous address of record, new address, and current phone number.

Name Change

To request a name change, you must submit appropriate documentation, such as a court order, showing the name change. Please do not fax the form to the Board as an original signature is required.

If you also wish to receive a new pocket license/permit or wall certificate reflecting the name change, you must follow the procedures below for "Duplicate Licenses." If you wish to wait for your next renewal pocket license/permit to be issued to avoid the $50.00 charge, you may do so. Simply send the name change documentation with your renewal statement and fee at your next renewal.

Duplicate/Replacement Licenses

There is a charge of $50.00 for a duplicate pocket license/permit, and an additional $50.00 charge for a duplicate wall license.

Your request must be submitted in writing with a Duplicate/Replacement License Form, appropriate fees, and your existing pocket license and/or wall license, or a statement signed under penalty of perjury that it has been lost, stolen, or misplaced.

If you are requesting a name change at the same time, you must submit, appropriate documentation, such as a marriage license, divorce decree, or court order, showing the name change.

Forms must be submitted via mail to the Dental Board of California, Attn: Dental Assisting Program at 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1550, Sacramento, CA 95815.