Revised Reporting Requirements for Controlled Substances
ALERT - EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2021 - Revised Reporting Requirements for Controlled Substances – starting January 1, 2021, the dispensing of a controlled substance must be reported to the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES) within one working day after the medication is released to the patient or the patient’s representative. Previously, the deadline to report was seven days after dispensing. Further, this law requires reporting of Schedule V drugs, in addition to Schedules II, III, and IV. This requirement applies to pharmacists and prescribers who dispense controlled substances. For more information, please refer to the AB 528 Joint Statement.
Starting January 1, 2021, California state law requires 15 security elements, including a 12-character serial number and corresponding barcode, to appear on California Security Prescription Forms. State law also requires California Security Prescription Forms to be produced by printers approved by the California Department of Justice’s California Security Prescription Printers Program. For more information, please refer to the AB 149 Joint Statement.
- AB 149 - New Requirements for Control Substances Prescription forms beginning January 1, 2021
- AB 149 - New Requirements for Control Substances Prescription forms beginning January 1, 2021 - DOJ (Department of Justice)
- DCA News Release - AB 149
- Are Your Prescriptions forms complaint?
- AB 528 - New Requirements For Reporting Dispensed Controlled Substances